One thing that Internet marketers bang into their clients’ heads is that according to Google and other search engines, “content is King.” If a Website has great content, the search engines will consider it a credible Website and reward it with higher search engine rankings. Good content also helps attract new visitors, i.e., customers to your Website and entices them to return often. All in all, the content on your Website could dictate whether the site is successful or not.
Although many people know content is very important for the success of a Website, they still don’t know how to make their content stand out enough to grab and keep the attention of the search engines as well as visitors to the site. Here are 6 things you need to keep in mind about online copywriting when it comes to creating a Website that not only appeals to visitors, but also to the search engines.
1. Good content is critical for visitors. If you content is boring, your visitors will be bored and never come back. It’s important to make sure the content is clear and concise but also grabs the attention of the reader. Think of your copy as your salesperson. When customers enter a retail store, the salesperson will be there to tell them all about the day’s specials as well as help with customer service and answering their questions. This should be what you online copywriting does for the site visitor. However, since your online copywriting isn’t human, it’s even more difficult, which brings us to number two.
2. Write for your target customer. Your online copywriting style should depend on who your target customers are. There are many techniques for Web writing, however you’ll be writing differently if you’re writing for young teenagers or corporate businessmen. Do not use too much corporate speak, no matter who you are trying to target, because you do not want your visitors getting confused or think your content is over their head. This will only frustrate them and make them leave. Instead, try to write casually while still keeping it professional. Remember who you are trying to reach, and write as you think they would.
3. Refresh your content often. Even if you build a new Website with excellent content, you still won’t reach the top of the search engine rankings unless you are constantly refreshing your copy. Search engines want to see updated content. The more you update your content, the more the search engine spiders will crawl your Website. This means more pages of your site will become indexed and it will be on its way up in the search engine rankings in no time. Higher search engine rankings mean more people will see your site, visit it, and purchase your products or services.
4. It’s important to get it right the first time. When it comes to online copywriting, there’s no such thing as “almost right.” You need to make sure your content mirrors the value of your product or service correctly the first time or you’ll leave a bad impression with the search engines as well as your visitors. If you use inexperienced online copywriters, you may risk having a nice looking site that no one ever sees. Visitors won’t check back to a site with confusing or irrelevant content, and search engines won’t return as often to index your pages. You wouldn’t want people to get the impression that your business is unprofessional and tell others about it, so make sure to get the content right the first time.
5. Direct marketing techniques are the key. Good online copywriters have knowledge of direct marketing techniques, which makes it much easier to create good content. Informational offers, “calls to action,” and playing on customers’ emotions by using words like “you” often are all examples of direct marketing techniques that work. Marketers that know direct marketing techniques have more knowledge about what works and what doesn’t, which allows them to produce content that generates leads and sales. If you aren’t familiar with these techniques, it would be best to hire an Internet marketing firm who does.
Remember that relevant, interesting and attention-grabbing online copywriting is imperative to the success of your site. Unless you’re an Internet marketing firm or have a full-time Web marketing staff, you probably won’t be able to sustain the time, interest and effort it takes to create a steady flow of good content. Remember that if you don’t put in the required effort, you can badly hurt your brand’s reputation and take steps backward on the way to your goal instead of forward. So keep these online copywriting tips in mind and remember to seek help from professionals if needed.